The purpose of the West Florida Canoe and Kayak Club is to promote the appreciation, skills and SAFETY of canoeing, camping and related outdoor activities, and to encourage respect for all natural resources. (see ByLaws) .
With safety as a stated purpose, the club further emphasizes that, as a club member, you are responsible for your own safety. (See the Club's Statement of Individual Responsibility) In order to participate in club paddling trips, all members and guests must also be familiar with our Trip Participant Guidelines.
To ensure that members conduct themselves in a manner that promotes their own safety, as well as the safety of other paddlers, the following minimum criteria have been established. ALL MEMBERS MUST BE FAMILIAR WITH AND CONFORM TO THESE CRITERIA!
Essential Eligibility Criteria for Paddling:
- Be able to manage all personal care and mobility independently or with the assistance of a companion who accompanies the participant.
- Be able to get in an out of a canoe/kayak independently or with the assistance of a companion.
- Be comfortable in the water including: floating on back independently with a properly fitted PFD, turning from face down to face up independently while wearing a properly fitted PFD, and holding breath under water.
- Be able to get out from under the watercraft independently in the event of a capsize.
- Be able to maintain a balanced, upright position when seated in a canoe/kayak, with adaptations if needed. ** NOTE ** No adaptations providing head or neck support will be accepted.
At least one person in the canoe/kayak must have the ability to move it through the water in a stable manner.